"O see, how brightly the universe gleams!
There is a radiance on everything;
you drift with me on a cold sea,
but a special warmth flickers from you to me, from me to you."

Monday, April 4, 2011

artist anne packard in coastal living magazine

I was recently going through my old issues of Coastal Living magazine, and I rediscovered this profile that I just love.  It's an article about Provincetown, Massachusetts-based artist Anne Packard--I love her paintings, her home, and her lifestyle.  She arrived in Provincetown in 1975, newly divorced, with five children.  She began selling little paintings and soon came upon the opportunity to buy her 19th-century home.  From the article:  "'When I first bought this place and before I built that bulkhead,' she says, 'I could see the ocean come and go under the floorboards in the living room.  The upstairs bedroom still rocks in storms like a ship at sea, but living on the edge is a privilege.  Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate what I see.'"







I've recently started painting again--I was always drawing or painting growing up, and I enjoyed it so much, but it fell by the wayside when I began to get serious about music.  In the past several years, photography, especially Polaroid photography, has helped me stretch my visual-art muscles again.  Hopefully painting will become more of a regular thing for me.  I love painting seascapes, but waves are really difficult!  I want to fill my house with seascapes.
All images were scanned by me, from the December/January 2010 issue of Coastal Living magazine.  While I couldn't find the article anymore on their website, they do have this.  The writer for the article is Susan Stiles Dowell, and the photographer is Kindra Clineff.  For more on Anne Packard, visit the Packard Gallery's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment